Goodreader is an iOS app that is advertised as a .pdf reading program - but it is much, much more than that. You can use Goodreader to access files that are stored on some online (cloud) storage services, in gmail, or even on your GC network storage. It will read many different kinds of files, not just .pdfs.
Instructions for using Goodreader to access your GC network files (personal storage and shared drives):
Note: The Goodreader app must already be installed on your iPad or iPhone
- Connect to the GC network with your iPad or iPhone
- If you are on-campus, connect as you normally would (typically to the "panther" network)
- If you are off-campus, connect using a VPN connection (contact the IT Support Center if you need help setting up VPN on your iPad/iPhone)
- Open Goodreader
- On the right side of the screen, touch "Connect to Server"
- Touch the "Add" button
- Select "SMB Server" (it is the last option on the list - you may have to scroll down to see it)
- Readable Title - enter a short description that will display in your list of connected servers (this entry is optional)
- Network Address
- Personal storage - enter "smb://gcfs1.greenville.edu/yourloginname$" (do not enter the quote marks, but you must include the $)
- Replace yourloginname with your network user name that you use when you log in to your computer
- Shared drives - enter "smb://gcstorage.greenville.edu/shared/foldername" (do not enter the quote marks)
- Replace foldername with the name of the shared folder to which you would like to connect
- If you do not know the name of your shared drive, try:
- On Windows - click on Computer (in the Start menu) and see if you can determine the name of your shared drive from your connected drives. You most likely will not see "gcstorage" as part of the name. Replace foldername with whatever comes after "/Shared/" in the name you see.
- On Mac OS - open Finder, select Go from the menu, then select Connect to Server. Your shared drive should be listed there.
- If you cannot determine the name of your shared drive, please contact the IT Support Center (x 7077) for assistance.
- User - enter your network user name that you use when you log in to your computer
- This entry is optional. If you omit it, you will be prompted for your login credentials every time you access your personal storage via Goodreader.
- Password - enter your network password that you use when you log in to your computer
- This entry is optional. If you did not enter anything for User, then don't enter anything here.
- Touch the "Add" button
You should now see the description you used for Readable Title in the setup. Touch the description.
Please be patient. It may take a minute or two to connect, and your iPad/iPhone may be non-responsive while it is connecting.
Once it connects, you will see files and/or folders in the window that pops up.
Touch the blue circles with the white arrows in them to move into folders.
Touch the button at the top left of the window to go back up one level in the folder structure.
You will be able to download, upload, sync and view files.
As always, please feel free to contact the IT Support Center (x 7077) if you have any questions.